Tuesday 7 October 2014

Burlap - Demo

'Demo'
Burlap
2014

Review by Brayden Bagnall

Genre/s: Noise Rock, Post Hardcore
For Fans Of: Dreamdecay, Pissed Jeans, Fight Amp, A Place To Bury Strangers, Earth

I recently headed down to Sydney/Newcastle to play some shows, and whilst I was down there I had the pleasure of catching Burlap live. I'd initially heard their demo when it dropped earlier this year, and was impressed by it - but for whatever reason I promptly forgot about it and moved onto something else. Cue me catching them live (one of the best sets I caught in Newcastle by a long shot) and remembering that I should totally do up a blog post for them. So here we are.
Burlap is a four piece band from Sydney, Australia featuring members of Jxckxlz, Ted Danson With Wolves and HANNAHBAND (to name a few) who play a much more mellowed out offshoot of noise rock.  With no bass, the two guitarists use a multitude of effects to create low end, and it's here where a few drone and shoegaze influences creep in. When they're not in drone mode, Burlap's music takes a slightly more aggressive tone via hoarse screamed vocals and punk flavoured guitar riffs. The two styles work well together, often mingling together throughout the coarse of a song to create a slightly disorienting yet mellow listen.
It'd be an understatement to say I'm excited to hear a full length or EP from these guys - but for now I'm going to content myself with this here demo. You should to. It's good.

TRACKLISTING:
1. Sicko
2. Pussy Whipped
3. Knuckles
4. U4EA

Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment